Heritage Heroes

This blog was created as a place to post fun stories about the ancestors of mine and James. We are always in awe of their great sacrifices and hardships they endured in our behalf. We hope that the stories you read about these people will bring them to life and help us to connect with them. We will do our best to honor and respect their experiences and examples.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Curtis Heritage

Kathryn Allen
Pidd w/
Emmalee Flake
(granddaughter)

















Although my Curtis Heritage had its beginning at least as far back as 1635 , when Zaccheus Curtis sailed to America on the ship "James" from England at the age of 16, today I am thinking of Samuel B. Curtis and his second wife, Susan Lucretia Gardener, who are my great grandparents through my father's mother, Sarah Diantha Curtis Allen.

In December of 1832, the Prophet Joseph Smith and Jared Carter visited with Nahum and Millicent Curtis at their home in Silver Lake, Oakland County, Michigan. That night Nahum and Mary were blessed with a spiritual manifestation and heard a voice declare the truth of the Book of Mormon to them. They were converted and soon every member of the family joined the Church.


One of Nahum's sons, Lyman Curtis, came west with Brigham Young's Company. Lyman married Charlotte Iris Alvord and of their ten children we meet Samuel
B Curtis. As a young boy, Sam crossed the plains from Missouri to Salt Lake. After his marriage to Lucinda Stewart at the age of 23, Sam married Susan L. Gardner when he was 29 and she was 16. Five years later he married Susan's half sister, Ellen.
In 1878 Sam was called to pioneer Arizona with his 3 wives and is small children. Which he did. His son, Delbert, by Susan, was one of the first babies born in St. David, Az. The next baby born to Sam and Susan was my own grandmother, Sarah Diantha who married Orville Allen.
Samuel B. Curtis and Susan Lucretia Gardner had 10 children together. My father, Orville Wells Allen, was named for one of those children, Wellington N.
With Sam's other 2 wives he had 10 children with Lucinda Stewart and 9 children with Ellen Gardner.

As I look at the names of the 29 children born to my Great Grandfather, Samuel B Curtis, I see many names I have heard over the years as my own father recalled memories of his several aunts and uncles such as "Uncle Cleve", and "Uncle Ez", "Aunt Edna", "Uncle Delbert", and "Aunt Daisy" who I remember fondly myself. Other names I recognize are "Uncle Ed" and "Uncle Ammon".

Among my favorite treasures are pictures of Susan and Sam when young and again when they were older. I can see a resemblance to my father, my grandmother, and myself. I feel connected to them (Grandpa Sam and Grandmother Susan) and look forward to meeting them myself.

I will always be grateful to the Prophet Joseph Smith and Jared Carter for bringing the gospel of Jesus Christ to my great great great grandparents, Nahum Curtis and Millicent Waite in 1832. I consider the testimony which I have of the truth of The Book of Mormon and my membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to be the most precious legacy anyone could ever wish for. The sacrifices made by my Curtis ancestors to keep the faith and build the Kingdom of God are cause for gratitude and rejoicing indeed. If I continue the tradition of activity in the Gospel and service to the Savior, Jesus Christ, and pass that legacy on to my own children and grandchildren, I will be blessed indeed.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger sharon09 said...

Lyman Curtis had a second wife, Sarah Wells Hartley who he married August 28, 1862. She has a wonderful story too. She had joined the church in England and after her husband died was persecuted by his family so she left England and came to America with 5 children. She traveled with the infamous Martin Handcart Company pulling a handcart with 5 young people.

Her story is inspiring in that all her children survived that horrible experience and went on to Salt Lake City she eventually met Lyman Curtis after he was divorced and they settled in southern Utah, in Pondstown later changed to Salem, Utah.

I enjoyed all your remarks and had heard the story about the two missionaries who had visited them in Michigan it was wonderful to put a name to those missionaries. Thank you for your research and making it available to all of us.

Sharon Moncrief
bmoncrief@cox.net

April 22, 2009 at 2:18 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

I am so glad to hear from a descendant of Lyman Curtis by his second wife, Sarah Wells Hartley. I didn't realize she had come with the Martin Handcart Company. I will have to get out my picture pedigree chart to put a face with the name. I am so glad you discovered this blog. Thank you for your kind words and wonderful history.
Kathy Pidd
kpidd@cox.net

August 14, 2009 at 10:59 PM  
Blogger Kathy said...

If you click on the last page of pictures...the small picture of several men seated...there is a picture inset of Asa Curtis. He is listed as a son of Lyman and Sarah Wells Hartley while the others are the sons of Lyman and Charlotte Alvord. What a small world.

August 14, 2009 at 11:06 PM  
Blogger Wanda said...

I am also a decendant from Lyman Curtis. We come through Charlotte Alvord. I hadn't seen the picture you have of Samuel B. Curtis when he was a young man. Thanks for sharing it.
Wanda Gardner Thatcher

October 17, 2009 at 9:51 AM  
Blogger Keeping Up with the Jones' said...

I am a decendant of Samuel B. Curtis and his first wife, Lucina V. Stewart. I so appreciated your post and pictures! I needed a picture of Samuel B. for a book I am doing of my dad, (dec.) Alton Craig Curtis. Thank you!
-Jocelyn Curtis Jones

March 29, 2011 at 5:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home