Heritage Heroes

This blog was created as a place to post fun stories about the ancestors of mine and James. We are always in awe of their great sacrifices and hardships they endured in our behalf. We hope that the stories you read about these people will bring them to life and help us to connect with them. We will do our best to honor and respect their experiences and examples.

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

A Flake post

I realize that not all of those invited to be authors on this blog are related to the Flake family, but because I want to archive family history stories here, I will have my own personal family links set up for my family on this blog. James' family has set up a family blog, so I didn't add them as authors. I don't want that to deter me from posting stories that I find and want to include. Also, to any of you that want to add heritage stories of your spouse's families,please feel free and we can get links set up for your families as well. Again, if you need assistance in doing this, call me!

This is a story about James' great great great Grandpa Flake.
Here is the story of his death (James Madison Flake):

In June of 1850, James and some of his companions set out on a brief exploratory expedition in the beautiful country South of Sacramento. Henry Bigler and several other missionaries were along. One morning they broke camp early, and as they were saddling up, one of the men experienced difficulty in handling his horse. James, astride his mule, observed that the man had no cinch on his saddle. Dismounting, he took the cinch from his own saddle and gave it to him, saying, "You need this worse than I do."

They rode out on the trail. Sometime later James' mule, surprised by an object in his path, shied, jumping so quickly that both rider and saddle were slammed violently to the ground. James lay motionless. When he spoke, it was to make an earnest request. "BRETHREN, LAY HANDS ON ME." His neck was broken, and he lived but a few minutes.

In those few moments James Madison Flake came suddenly, unexpectedly to the end of his mission.

James' whole life since he joined the church had been given to helping his fellowman. He had spent a fortune helping them cross the plains to get away from mobs. Wrapped in a blanket, he was buried beside the trail. In six short years he had given his life, the lives of three children, and a fortune for the gospel in which he believed. On June 22, he would have been 35.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sue Ellen said...

I am a descendant of Catherine Curtis Spencer and my mother-in-law's name is Eva Flake (she died several years ago)! I would like to contact you, I've never joined a blog, so you'll have to help me! I thought I had a photo of Catherine, but I looked on my photo pedigree chart and sure enough, her photo is one of the few I don't have. Sue Winmill -- suewin@gmail.com

June 29, 2009 at 9:48 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home