Heritage Heroes

This blog was created as a place to post fun stories about the ancestors of mine and James. We are always in awe of their great sacrifices and hardships they endured in our behalf. We hope that the stories you read about these people will bring them to life and help us to connect with them. We will do our best to honor and respect their experiences and examples.

Friday, February 22, 2008

"We Are Who We Were"




This is my sister, Linda Faye Allen Starks. I have been thinking of her a lot today because she is so very sick. She has been in the hospital since before Christmas, 2007. She has been in our prayers and on the prayer rolls of several temples. For the first time in 8 weeks she was able to talk to Roger and asked him to pray for her and to ask his family to pray for her. If she only knew!!




I recently saw a movie, Amistad, and there was a line in the movie.."We are who we were." It was about a slave who was on trial in the 1830's and when he was about to go in front of the Supreme court he said he would not be there alone. The attorney thought he meant he would have his lawyers with him but he explained that his ancestors would be called upon to attend his trial because when one was in extreme need he could call upon his ancestors back to the beginning of time to come forward on his behalf and assist him.




This is how it is right now with Linda. While she is laying helpless with doctors and nurses doing what they can...legions of Linda's ancestors are gathering on her behalf on the other side of the veil. Some of them I know well. There is my mother, Dece. My grandmother, Pearl and my grandmother, Sadie are there. Of course the men are there too, but as I type this I feel my mother and both my grandmothers so strongly I KNOW they are diligently doing the things they do. There is no better medicine and no stronger comfort than this.




Linda's only daughter, Dece, has been at her side continually and has been feeding her and caring for her. How proud her grandmothers are of her! She is truly a gem. My brother, Roger, has been there too. Yesterday, he arrived to find Linda needed help and the nurses had dropped the ball. He stayed until evening when Jim came to be with Linda. Roger is our older brother and he is not about to let any of us go unaided. He will not leave a single detail unexplored and he is a blessing to us all.




Daddy, (Grandpa Allen) has been a stalwart on Linda's behalf. He has kept us all connected and aware of her progress. He is a comfort and a safe place to turn.




All of Linda's children and grandchildren have been praying for her to return home and be healthy. Jim, her husband, has been at her side faithfully. He was only away yesterday so he could go to the doctor for himself. It has been inspirational to witness.




I am sharing this with my family because I want them to know that when any of us are in need, we have each other and we have all those who have gone before. It is all of us together that make us who we are. It is something I am very grateful for.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home